Thursday, December 14, 2006

Saftey Jesus.

"I reckon this: the idol of the nice god, the safe god, has done more damage to biblical faith-more damage to people coming to faith-than the cariacture of the tyrant god ever did. The despotic god, howling his rage, wielding punishment with both ransacking destruction and surgical precision, at least inspired something in us. We were afraid. We wanted to appease. But this Milquetoast-Pampering deity is nothing but a cosmic lackey, an errand boy we call on to make our golf games pleasant or to help us escape reality for a little while and them summarily dismiss. Worship him? Revere him? Die for him? Believe that he died a curel and bloody death for us? You must be kidding." -Your God Is To Safe (Mark Buchanan)

"Is-is he a man?" asked Lucy.
"Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion-the Lion, the great Lion."
"Ooh," said Susan, "I thought he was a man. Is he-quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."
"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver, "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're rather braver than most or else just silly."
"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the king, I tell you." (Narnia)

A man at work was telling me how his mother had 16 children and I was listening patiently all the while thinking how that would be my hell. Don't get me wrong, I like children and would even like my own, but not 16, heck, not even 6. Alas, I digress. The thought actually crossed my mind that I would rather be in hell than have that life. I didn't say it out loud, but it was in the back of my mind and now it is haunting me. What a comercialized view of hell I must have to even consider a thought like that. Do I really believe in Satan, or do I chalk him up to a dime store teenager with satin horns. It was almost enough to bring tears to my eyes. Not even considering that children are a blessing from the Lord. Anyway, this has put my brain into overdrive.

How do I view Jesus? When I am walking with him all other things seem to fade away. I get glimpses of his glory and I know that I can sit, worshiping my King forever. It is like that worship song says "I long to be where the praise is never ending, yearn to dwell where the glory never fades. Where countless worshippers will share one song, and cries of "worthy" will honor the lamb." Yet, when I am not...I find myself giving God a way out. If I pray for someone I will leave it open "if it is your will" or making excuses. I know this is disjointed, it is my lunch break and I just felt like writting...but I am just praying that the Lord of the harvest will break this box I have put him in lately. He is the Lord of the Exodus, Lord of India, of Africa, of unbelieving family and friends. He is majestic, beautiful, worthy, glorious and breath taking. May this be our image of our savior, may we see him clothed in glory and honor, victorious, and may the simplicity of his birth be a vessle for us to see the magnitude of his life.

I am sure I will write before Christmas but I just want to use this one paragraph to write to the cameroon team.
As you are sent, know that it is my joy to come along side you in prayer. There is a King who is longing to see the nations worship the glorious Trinity. It has been written that "every tounge, tribe and nation WILL know the Lord." You have an amazing privilage to teach, encourage, love and honor those you come in contact with. I believe that Jesus is preparing each one of you in amazing ways and I can't wait to hear how he will reach the people of cameroon, and encourage the missionaries through your presence. Go in peace, know that you are loved.

No comments: