Friday, June 02, 2006

Trauma

Today a group of 18 teenagers ranging from 11-15 came to the kitchen under my watch. Let me preface this post by saying how tired I am! I didn't know listening that many people at once could be so tiring! Well I took 5 girls and had them do various activities, pulling cans, making sandwiches ext... They were the "cheerleader" types, all perfectly friendly and willing to do whatever I asked but you could tell there was something a brewin under the surface. At the same time these girls were here a mother daughter team that comes every week (I love them) arrived and the daughter (Jen) was immediately incensed at the cheerleaders. They didn't say a mean word to her, but she was looking for reasons to hate them. I started talking to her and realized how much she gets picked on by this same group every day. It was amazing. Her anger transported me back to junior high, I had never been so miserable. Yet, highschool came and you move on. I am just wondering in my 5 minute break, what was your highschool experience like? How would you deal with the demons that plagued you. Gotta tell you, Jen is going to need therapy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Karla, do you love this mother-daughter combo more than me and Anie??? :)

Again, up way TOO late. Ah, it's been a traumatic week here as well. I'll think about high school and add more later.

We love you!

Anonymous said...

Actually, there are elements of high school that I would rather not think about - rebellion - bad choice of friends - living a lie most of the time - a lot of wasted time - most of it I could have lived without. Band and musicals were fun - that's about it. Hmmm...many years for what? Gosh, way too philosophical a topic for me Karla. Drudges up too many things I'd rather not think about.

I do hope that you are alive and haven't been traumatized too much this week. I'm off to Musikgarten with the Mayor and then baseball with Gus this afternoon. A lovely day - oh yes, one more hard goodbye tonight and then "NO MORE"!! Have I mentioned that the trauma of saying goodbye all the time gets VERY old! Grace for the day is all I ask.

TTFN

Anonymous said...

High school was a time of so much insecurity. I was almost quiet and shy around anyone who wasn't friend, and rarely stood up for myself. It was a time of failing to work out what was going on within with what was going on without. Does that make any sense?

All in all, though, the Lord didn't let me fall too many times, and he gave me wonderful friends, especially in my senior year...

Miss you, Karla! Let's get together in Chatt-town before I have to leave...

Anonymous said...

Karla, my friend, WHERE ARE YOU???? I'm getting worried that you might have crashed on that cute little scooter....