Sunday, May 14, 2006

Jesus=straight white dude?

The otherday I went into a Christian bookstore and I was gazing at the merchandise aisle. There was one shirt that said "modest is hottest" yet another pair of socks with crosses up the ankle. What are we doing! Really, what are we as a community doing? Would Jesus be offended as to what we have made him? Would he (as many churches suggest) hang out with upper middle class straight white folk? Where would he be found. I am realizing over and over that instead of having our culture come under the authority of Christ we are trying to bend him to our culture. What makes me most angry is that the "idea" of Christian that we have thought up frankly...sucks. We individualize the gospel, and as Gary so eloquently put it "we treat God as a spiritual fitness trainer" using discipleship and mentoring to uplift me to be my "Christian best."
I want to pray the way Colossians 4:2-6 commands: "Pray for us, that God may open a door for our message.." God open the door for your word to flow forth to the Nations, may they not be diluted by what we want you to be, but let your authority, power, goodness and mercy transform lives. Christ may our conversations be full of grace, may those we encounter know to whom we belong.
I will unpack this further, just wanted to throw out some of the ideas mulling in the head. I am so thankful that my old church and the new one have a solid kingdom mentality where the gospel is not self focused but on Christ.
Also, these verses have found new sweetness as he has been restoring the joy of my Salvation again.
"Create in me a clean heart, O God and renew a right spirit within me
Cast me not away from your presence, take not your Spirit from me
restore unto me the joy of my salvation, uphold me with your Spirit." Ps 51

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! More later, my friend! We miss you.

Anonymous said...

Double AMEN!! I've found that I've lost my freedom in Christ by trying to fit into all of these boxes this culture has made. Holding onto Jesus' hand is MUCH sweeter!

em said...

Good post, Karla. It is a sad truth that we have tried to take the Gospel captive to our culture. Problem with that is, the truth can't be held captive.... meaning that we've obviously captured something else. whoops!

Also, can you please buy me one of those "modest is hottest" t-shirts? Thanks. ;-)

Lee Ann said...

Hey Karla,

I don't think I've heard you talk much about your church in Chatt. Would love to hear about your current church and what the Lord is doing there.